Sunday, February 12, 2012

This is real life

Sometimes life is challenging. That is a complete no brainer, but sometimes I forget. When I thought about starting a blog, I thought about all the cute things I would post about. I would post cute pictures of my little men, write about fun adventures, and post about all the cool things kids in my art classes were learning. But I also wanted to be authentic to what my life is really like. My life as a mom and wife is not always happy and easy, it can be tough. My marriage is not always perfect, sometimes we disagree and hurt the other person. Its real life. I want to be authentic to who I am in my daily life. So here is an authentic post.


As you read in my previous post, Matt had two late nights, which made me have two late nights at home with the boys. To be completely honest, I was worn out. I had a hair appointment scheduled for Saturday. I was looking forward to some "me" time, where I could chit chat with my stylist, read some trashy magazines and not have anyone climbing on me. To me, its important to take care of myself and be happy as Kelly. Its better for my husband and children. In my head, I made these expectations to what the day would be like. I thought I would get my hair done, go pick up some more makeup, buy some cute tights to wear for our date we had planned, and come home to happy children and a clean house. That didn't happen.


I came home to screaming babies, a tired husband and a messy kitchen. Here I am being authentic: I was not nice to Matt about it. I made a snide comment about the kitchen not being clean. In my head, I was thinking that I am able to get the house clean and take care of both boys, why couldn't he? We both got upset. To top it all off, Jack had a fever. Bye bye dinner date! I called Taylor and canceled our plans. I was so disappointed. I needed a night off, and Matt and I needed some alone time to reconnect.


Matt and I have worked hard to build a solid relationship. In tough times we know how to react. Yesterday we both gave the other person space. We talked it over. We are both tired. We both felt under appreciated. It is hard being married with two little ones. Days can be challenging. We both talked about our feelings, and validated the other. I know Matt works so hard. He works long hours, and is often disrespected by parents at his school, something that comes with the territory. I work hard too. It felt good to hear Matt acknowledge my hard work and the effort I put into making our home, and the love I pour into our children. Jack was feeling better so we decided to try and go out; we needed a break!


Taylor had made other plans, so she arranged for my parents to come over. I am so thankful for the love and support my family gives us. I just don't know where we would be without them! I got dressed up and we headed out to Marrow. We got there, ordered a cocktail and relaxed. I had an amazing drink called the Lillian. So delicious! It felt good to reconnect. We reflected on our day and talked about our marriage. I am so blessed to have married a man who is so invested in me and our life together. I can't help but think if Matt loves me as much as I love him, I am a lucky girl!
We enjoyed our meal. Matt had veggie sliders and I had a stuffed artichoke. We were in food heaven! After dinner we grabbed a drink with some friends. Our spirits were lifted and it felt so good to be adults for a couple of hours. We headed back home, back to real life. Jack ended up with a 103 degree fever, so back to mommy mode I went.


The day was not what I thought it was going to be, but it ended up being pretty awesome. I am thankful that I can be real, that Matt loves me for who I am, even in my ugliest moments. I love him in his ugly moments too. Life can't be perfect all the time. But there is beauty and joy in the imperfections too.

1 comment:

  1. I so appreciate your honesty in this. As a friend years behind you but excited to get married and excited for a family, I love reading your ups and downs. I love you friend. I feel so connected to you even though we don't see each other a ton. I love you!! AB

    ReplyDelete