On New Year's eve, I posted on my Facebook that it was time to simplify my life and take a break from Facebook, maybe even delete the entire thing. I have been contemplating this for a long time.
Over the past several months, Facebook has become this habit for me, maybe even an addiction. Yikes, that sounds kind of scary. But that is what it had become. It was so easy to push that little blue button on my screen and see what other people were up to, and as a result disengage with my current moment.
My time was never productive. Instead it took me away from being present in the moment I was currently living in. Being brutally honest with myself, it meant I was disengaged with the people most important to me; my husband, my kids, my family and friends. And for what?
I found myself looking at other peoples' posts and feeling myself comparing my life with others. I easily forget what a facade social networks are. We can easily edit out the messy piles of laundry, the children throwing tantrums, the money problems, job issues, and post pictures about how life is great.
It is one of my goals this year to be fully present wherever I am. I owe it to myself, and to the people around me.
I have logged in to Facebook occasionally, mainly to see new baby pictures. It is a way to connect, but I have significantly cut down on my time and my own posts.
It has felt good to keep my time limited. I am not sure if I will eventually delete it, but this feels right for right now.
No comments:
Post a Comment