Thursday, April 19, 2012

Eczema=My worst Enemy!

For the past month or so, we have been dealing with terrible eczema on Henry's face and back. It started when I went back to work and changed my diet to a more Vegan diet. It started on his poor little forehead. He would itch it when he was stressed out at daycare or when family was watching him. We worked on keeping it hydrated with tons of lotion, but it didn't get better. I took him to our pediatrician for his 4 month check-up. He just gave me lotion. Within a few days it was getting even worse. I took him back and got prescription cream and a new diet. Our doctor suggested I eliminate wheat and dairy.

The day after I eliminated these two things his face was noticably better. I was thrilled. My excitement was short lived. It flared up and now was all over his forehead, on the backs of his knees, and back. I felt and continue to feel so helpless for the little guy. His skin would get better for a bit and then flare up. I was so frustrated.

I cannot even begin to tell you how long I have scoured the internet! I have read everything on eczema! Then a lightbulb went off. Because I had eliminated dairy, I had increased my intake of soy! Duh! I was indulging almost daily in a vanilla soy latte. Through my research I found that kids with dairy allergies are also likely to have soy allergies! So now soy is out of my diet. If you are keeping track, I am not eating:wheat/gluten, dairy, meat or soy. It has been very challenging! Just when things got better, Henry flared up again! I had been so careful. I couldn't help but just cry. I was trying so hard to keep him comfortable and clear. Through even MORE research, I found that soy lurks in a lot of places, like vegetable broth! I had been eating a lot of vegetable broth in soup, and quinoa. I felt so terrible.

I took today off with Henry and tried to soothe his owie skin. I needed a day of rest. I have been completely consumed with figuring out how to help my little guy. I think we have a good plan now. Eczema is definitely no fun! I hope to get back on track with the blog, but this skin issue has really taken a lot of my time and energy lately. I have tons of cute pics to post soon! Thank you to all who continue to look at my blog even when I haven't updated. It makes me feel loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment