Saturday, August 10, 2013

28 Years

At the end of April, my Dad retired from Lakewood/ West Pierce fire department! I am so proud of him. 28 years is a long time to work in one place!
To celebrate his legacy, there is a tradition that West Pierce does. They pick up the retiree and drive him around in his fire engine for the day, then one final tone out and they take him home. Its bittersweet and I am so lucky I got to spend the day with my dad as he rode around bidding his farewells. Here are some highlights!
West Pierce recently received money to purchase a fire boat. This thing is amazing! Its called the Endeavor. My dad was trained on this boat so as part of his day, we were all picked up by the boat on my parents' beach. It was a beautiful day for it!
The Endeavor showing its water power in honor of dad!

Dad with the boat


Boarding the Endeavor
 It was so cool to see what this boat could do. It can stop faster than anything. I loved watching my dad operate the boat. He is super passionate about it and his career.

Shot from under the bridges


Dad and his "crew"

 When we got to the boat house, Dad's engine was waiting for him.

 I had so much fun. We rode around and then went to a barbecue where Matt and the boys met us. During that time, my dad and the other retirees were honored for their service. They have dedicate a large chunk of their lives to the service of others; so inspiring! The final tone out was emotional for all, but the end of a great career!


Levi and the fire engines!
 The guys my dad worked with for many years, that he mentored and grew with, drove us home to my parents' house. First there was a great trip around Lakewood where many stories were shared.
My dad signing out

Dad's Crew
What an amazing day, and an amazing career! I am so proud of my dad and his accomplishments!

No comments:

Post a Comment